Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Can I go.....vegan?

Okay, I have a feeling this "kind diet' thing is going to be harder than I thought.

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
I know I'm already vegetarian, but can I really go vegan? Can I really give up eggs and dairy too?

Eggs - probably although I'll miss them. I think I could do it.
Milk - I pretty much already have (I drink almond milk mostly now, but still buy lactose free milk sometimes to switch it up a bit).

but cheese?

I LOVE cheese!!!!!!

Since taking probiotics and acidopholis cheese seems to be loving me back these days too.  Why break up a great relationship when we're just starting to get along again?

Oh right... because I have to take probiotics and acidopholis to help digest it.

ugh....Still though.... this ain't going to be easy peeps. Just the thought of it makes me want to have a tantrum!

Either is switching from white breads to whole wheat. Something I should have done long ago, but just never really could because I hate the taste of whole wheat bread. I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and learn to love it. There has got to be one kind of whole wheat/whole grain bread I end up liking....right?

Anyway, I'm not going to quit being vegetarian and instantly become vegan overnight. This is going to be a very slow process for me. As I head that way however, I will be paying much more attention to portion sizes than I have been and cooking a lot more at home -- something I haven't really been doing in months!

So wish me luck as I start on this crazy new road. I think I'm going to need it!

4 comments:

  1. I went vegan for a month back in May (any of the posts on my blog with the tag "WFM" are related to the challenge) - cheese is my favorite food, but it was funny how I didn't really miss it. It's a lot of salt, fat, and calories - if you have avocado on a sandwich instead, it's still fat and calories, but a much healthier choice. For breads, the Ezekiel brand is good but expensive. I found myself mostly cutting out bread entirely - or using corn tortillas. Good luck if you choose to undergo this! It's a challenge at first, but as you figure out what works best for you, it gets easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment. I'll have to check out those posts. I do realize (since going veg) that just because you give up meat, does not mean you instantly will lose weight and be healthy. It still takes work, and you are right, some vegetarian/vegan recipes are high in salt, fat and calories...but a lot aren't either.... like I said, I'm going to slowly get my feet wet and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh....and thanks for the tip on the bread. I have tried it before. I wasn't the biggest fan...plus you are right. It's expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally got my hubby switched over from white to whole wheat bread!! Yayy its been a year now and he now loves it..

    next it to get him over to this bread
    http://www.silverhillsbakery.ca/

    Squirrely is my favorite. I'm not fussy about the Ezekiel bread though

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails