Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What's up Doc?

Howdy folks....so, I went to see my doctor today and of course was a little weepy in the office.

Me = Loser

Okay, so of course I'm not, but I felt like one! I didn't plan on doing that of course, but my doc rocks, so whatever. At least it wasn't the ugly cry and at least he knows I'm not lying when I say I've been down lately! I spoke about how I've been feeling and because of my history of depression and binge eating when I do get low, we decided it was probably best to be on some happy pills for the time being - Pristiq 50mg once daily to be exact. This is a new med on the market (in Ontario anyway), that I actually am not familiar with, but side effects are suppose to be minimal, so that's a good thing. Hopefully it's a temp thing, but for now I know it's the right decision for me. Anything to make my 30s different from my 20s people! My 20s were the years I got fat and sad,  my 30s are about reversing all the damage...on the inside and out!

I did speak to him about seeing a shrink as I said I would. It did take a lot for me to ask. Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods, there is a huge wait list to get to see one. Apparently I'm not the only one needing help these days! In a way it's good to know I'm not alone. He is still going to put in a referral for me of course, but in the meantime I think I'm going to seek out a counsellor on my own.  The good news is that work has a program where it's free for me to see one. I just have to make the call. Yet again, it will be hard to do, but it's time to get things sorted out on the inside just as much as the outside!

Speaking of that, I really haven't been rocking the diet thing lately. This is the second week I've just kind of let my eating go. Not good I know, but now that I've seen the doc and have a plan for controlling my mood in the future, I do feel more in control. This of course will help me moving forward. Don't worry ladies and gents, I'll be back to inspiring that bejesus out of you soon!!!!!

Running I've still been doing, but my hips are still sore. I did have the Doc look at them and my ROM (range of motion) is good so he's not really concerned. He just thinks it is muscle related and because.... well......I'm out of shape and still new to this running thing,  it could be I'm still doing too much too soon. Gezzzzzzz, how much more slow can I go?! He recommended doing some cycling which I was thinking about doing anyway. It would help to build up the muscle in my hips. He also recommended  some aqua fit/water running stuff, so I'll give it a shot. The cycling more so than the swimming as getting to a pool is a lot harder than walking down the stairs to my basement were a stationary bike resides!

Anyway, I am starting to feel better folks, and plans and goals are starting to be formulated! You know I love a good goal. Here's to moving forward and here's to a happy and healthy future!

Cheers! :-)

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you made it to the Dr. And will persue a therapist through work - if that's quicker (and less expensive to boot)! You're taking charge of your health and that's what's important. Go get 'em!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that you are getting the help you need from the doctor.

    Work on your eating...because when I lose control with my eating it drives me further into a depressive state!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest looking into your EAP but you're ahead of me! =) The shrink(s) I saw were through my EAP and were WONDERFUL.

    When I took time off work after my dad died (and plummeted into to deep, dark depths) my friend suggested that every day I should:
    -mediatate &/or practice yoga
    -walk outside
    -do something creative: write, draw, do something crafty

    Come to think of it, those are good suggestions for EVERY day! (I just realized that). It also helps to have a fur-baby (which I see you do).

    We're here to help you through! Take care (and take the pills).

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meditate.

    I saw the red squiggly like just as I hit "Post Comment"!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. like=line

    Oy!

    Hope you're doing better today--it's Friday!

    H =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails