Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Iron Running

Today was a good day. I got to sleep in, I did a little shopping and I bought went for a run.

Included in the things I bought while out, I bought one large cast iron skillet. It weighs about 100lbs!!!!!  As the website "kitchen products" explains.....


One of the biggest issues (as a vegetarian) is having to take vitamins in order to compensate for the loss of iron that one would gain from eating beef.  If you cook with cast iron cookware, however, then you’re luckier than most.

Studies have shown that the minerals from cast iron cookware attach themselves to food that is being prepared, thus putting an amount of iron that would not be present in vegetarian food.  By purchasing cast iron cookware, you could have some of the same health benefits as a non-vegetarian, as well as having really great, long-lasting pots and pans.


I ended up buying one because a) I've been thinking about it for awhile now as my iron levels aren't the greatest, and b) I found one that was dirt cheap!  I ended up  buying an Emeril Lagasse cast iron skillet. It was the only one of it's size there, and because it wasn't 'perfect' so was marked half off!  Score!!!!! 

After I came home I changed and then headed out again to meet my friend for our long run together. She wanted to run the route of our 5K this coming sunday, so I decided to do it with her. We ran the 5K doing our 10s and 1s and finished just over 40min. We're slow, but mighty! We both found it to be a tough route with lots of stupid hills, but now going forward we know we can do it. We know we can finish and we're both looking forward to Sunday!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails